A Rich History & A Modern Facility
We're very proud to be the premier pet lodging facility in the western 'burbs. Since it first opened in 1946, Green Meadow Kennels had been a mainstay of the near-west suburbs. The Tichy Family lived and worked on the property - boarding local pets and breeding show dogs. Through the 80s, 90s and early 00s Green Meadow continued to grow and expand - building a stellar reputation under the ownership of Denise Ewing. When Denise decided to retire, new Owners Dave & Denise Grooms took over - determined to honor nearly 70 years of service to the surrounding Community - while modernizing and and adding new services.
We conduct drop-in tours (9-5) everyday and encourage pet parents to stop by. Bring your pet along for a 'test drive.' Here are some interesting facts about the facility here at OBKC:
- We sit on 2 lush acres right in the heart of a quiet residential neighborhood. Our 40 indoor/outdoor runs are sunny in the morning and shady through the afternoon.
- We have a capacity for 83 dogs and 8-10 cats. We've had guinea pigs, a hedgehog, rabbits, lizards, parrots and parakeets stay with us. Own a pot-bellied pig? We'd love to have one come stay with us!
- We teach Pet CPR & 1st Aid monthly in our classroom. We also teach the Boy Scout Dog Care Merit Badge on site.
- Our 7 foot tall privacy fence abates noise and provides a secure barrier around our perimeter. Our play yards are a combination of crushed stone (for easy sanitation) and plain old green, natural grass. Our parking lot is only used to park cars - not walking your pets.
- Our kennel building is separate from our offices and prep kitchen area - affording our guests much-deserved privacy.
- We have a plush Cattery with bright picture windows and lots of places to explore - all secluded from our canine guests.
- We use city water and the entire facility is served by our a centralized water filtration system. We use well water to water our beautiful grounds.
- We only use 3 things to clean with at OBKC - fresh water, bleach and Simple Green. No harsh chemicals or odor covering sprays. Our Kennel doesn't smell like a kennel. Our Staff is meticulous and thorough and we pride ourselves on our cleanliness. Come by anytime and see for yourself!
- We have a backup generator system for those frequent stormy nights in the summer and long cold snaps in the winter.
- Our concrete kennel building is super-insulated. Our boiler provides clean steam heat in the winter months and our central a/c keeps everyone nice and cool in the summer.
- We have an intrusion detection system and 24 hour x 365 days-a-year monitored fire and alarm systems.
- We monitor humidity and temperature throughout the facility using radio frequency tags. We even monitor the temp at 'nose-height' in our kennel building!
- We have an extensive HD and infrared video surveillance system for the security of our guests and Staff.